More in this section

What documents can I use as proof of identity?

We have put together a helpful list of documents which we will accept as proof of identity.

To confirm your nominated bank account you will need to provide us with a bank or building society statement for that account dated within the last three months which shows your full name and address.

To confirm your identity, we require one of the following Government issued documents:

  • Valid, signed and in date passport*
  • Valid, in date UK photo card or old style paper driving licence*
  • Recent evidence of entitlement to a state or local authority benefit (e.g. state pension, tax credit or housing benefit)
  • Firearms certificate or shotgun licence*
  • HMRC tax notification (excluding self-assessment documents)

If your bank or building society statement does not show your address, please also send us one of the following:

  • Utility bill (dated within the last three months)
  • Local authority tax bill
  • Formal court document (e.g. Judgement or Order, Grant of Probate)
  • Letter confirming your residency at a nursing home on their headed paper

*For your own protection you are advised not to send original passports, driving licences or firearms certificates or licences through the post. Copies can be accepted but must be certified as a true copy by a solicitor, an accountant, a bank or building society official, an Independent Financial Advisor (IFA), a mortgage broker, a doctor or a Justice of the Peace.

Family Building Society
Ebbisham House
30 Church Street
Surrey KT17 4NL
Follow Us