Equity release is a way of unlocking some of the value you have in your home. If you are aged 55 or over, and own a home worth at least £70,000*, you could be eligible for equity release.
Equity release at a glance
- Release a tax-free cash lump sum
- With a lifetime mortgage there are typically no monthly repayments to make as the loan, plus roll up interest, is repaid when the plan comes to an end
- You will never owe more than the value of your house (with plans approved by the Equity Release Council)
- You can spend the money however you like
- Equity Release will reduce the value of your estate and may affect entitlement to means tested benefits
- The most popular type of equity release plan is a lifetime mortgage which, like a traditional mortgage, is secured against your home
How can the Family Building Society help?
We have partnered with the UK's leading independent equity release specialist, Key Retirement, offering 100% impartial equity release advice. If you decide to go ahead, Key Retirement's advisers will search the entire market to find the best plan for your circumstances. In fact, they are so committed to your needs that if they don't think equity release is actually the best option for you they'll tell you.
Unless you decide to go ahead, Key's service is completely free of charge, as their typical advice fee of 1.95%* of the amount released would only be payable on completion of a plan.
*Please note that the minimum home value and advice fee have recently changed and our downloadable Guide to Equity Release is currently being updated to reflect these values.